Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day from Ireland

Ich am of Irlaunde,
Ant of the holy londe
Of Irlaunde.
Gode sire, pray ich the,
For of saynte charité,
Com ant daunce wyth me
In Irlaunde.

I thought I'd start with a few old lines of verse. We've been seeing a lot of really old things lately, so I deemed it appropriate. Yesterday we went on one of the more touristy adventures, taking a trip to Blarney Castle. We had the day off, so a few of us got together and hopped on a bus to the town of Blarney, a small and fairly charming place with a lot of elderly folk. I wasn't sure what the castle would be like, or whether it would be worth the price of admission, but it turned out to be pretty cool. It's situated on a pretty large piece of property, with lots of woods and forking rivers. The castle itself had a lot of winding passageways, narrow staircases, and even a dungeon-like structure. Kissing the stone was sort of anti-climactic, and it turned out to be probably the least exciting part of the whole trip (yes, I am aware of the stories of locals "sullying" the stone). We walked along some scenic trails to this clearing full of rock formations. It was a lot like a playground, but with witches stones and druid circles. That part was a lot of fun. It's a really cool place, if you don't spend all your time at the stone or the in-castle gift shop. I reluctantly included a picture of myself kissing the stone, so you could all see what it involves.


Last night, Jeff and I took a few people to a local pub with a dartboard, as Jeff recently purchased his own set of darts. There was a party in the back, so darts didn't happen. I went up to the bar and started talking with this Irish guy who grew up in America. This was nice, as I could actually understand what he was saying. He told us that his buddy was coming with his band. We decided to stay and hang out for a bit. The band was awesome. They played mostly blues rock, with a few Beatles covers thrown in. The old man on the right is the lead singer, and he plays a pretty mean guitar. We got the chance to talk with him a little, real nice guy.


Well, I'm going to go for now, I think the St. Patrick's Day parade is starting. If you want to know, I'll tell you about it later.

No comments: